Following are four glossaries that relate to our stationery products.
Back to Top 

Stationery Glossary

Announcement card
A personalized note card for social or business notification.
Booklet envelope
An envelope that features a square-shaped flap, giving the flap more space for the return address.
Calling card
A small unfolded card displaying simple information such as name and address, or name and telephone number. Smaller calling cards have envelopes, while larger calling cards usually do not have envelopes.
Coin envelope
A small envelope, approximately 2-inch x 3-inch, with a side-flap opening.
Corner cut
A short remark at the bottom left or bottom right corner of an invitation or announcement. For example: R.S.V.P., or another example: Formal attire.
Crow's foot
A wrinkle that occurs near a corner of the paper, or near an embossed letter if pressure is applied unevenly to the paper during the manufacturing process.
A monogram derived from first-name and last-name initials.
Edge border
A colored highlight added only to the edge of a flat card. An edge border often is done in metallic gold or metallic silver.
Embossed stationery
Personalized stationery that has been customized by impressing a person's name into a piece of paper through high pressure. Because no ink is used, embossed stationery is the most positive printing process for the environment. And due to its pure, sculptural appearance, embossed stationery is continually regarded as refined and dignified.
Engraved invitation
An invitation that has been printed by applying pressure to ink (Also see Engraved stationery).
Engraved stationery
Stationery that has been printed by applying pressure to the inked portion of the engraving die. The phrase "engraved stationery" is a misnomer because the die is engraved—not the stationery. Engraved stationery has declined in popularity over the years due to higher prices and the excessive waste generated by the die and ink system.
An offering of two or more styles of stationery in one package, similar to a wardrobe.
A flat paper container—usually paper—that contains a letter, invitation or note.
Envelope, Double-lined
A feature of the Embossed Graphics Gifts in Paper line of products, this special design features a colored lining and a trimmed-back flap that exposes the lining and gives the appearance of two linings
Envelope lining
A specially cut piece of paper that is affixed inside an envelope to provide an extra layer of protection and decoration for fine stationery or invitations.
Envelopes ahead
A slang phrase that describes envelopes for an announcement or invitation that must be produced and shipped prior to the rest of the order to enable the customer to begin addressing the envelopes.
A piece of paper that has been scored so that it can easily fold over. Also called a note, or an informal note.
Gift enclosure
A petite fold-over note, usually 2-inch x 3.5-inch, that is paired with a matching envelope. Another popular size is the 3-inch x 3-inch gift enclosure.
An adhesive substance—either vegetable derived or synthetic—used for the seal of envelopes. Also known as mucilage; sometimes incorrectly called glue.
Informal note
A fold-over note, usually of smaller size, for writing short messages such as thank-you notes. Informal notes usually are sized 4-inch x 5-inch when folded.
Inner envelope
A smaller, protective envelope that fits inside the outer envelope that carries an invitation or announcement.
A request, often formal, to attend or participate in an event.
A larger piece of paper used as the background for a mounted announcement or invitation.
Layered invitation
An invitation comprised of two or more layers of paper.
A sign of identity usually formed with the combined initials of a name.
An aqueous solution used as an adhesive, especially for sealing the flap on an envelope.
A small piece of paper, usually folded, which is used for written messages.
Outer envelope
The larger envelope of a two-envelope invitation.
A raised flat surface, usually rectangular, which surrounds a lower flat area that serves as the printing or embossing surface for the printed text area of the announcement, invitation, or response card.
Response card
A smaller card in the invitation set that allows the recipient to indicate if he or she plans to attend the event.
Response envelope
The smaller envelope in an invitation set that is pre-addressed and allows the recipient to send the completed response card back to the sender.
An abbreviation from the French language—"Répondez s'il vous plaît," translated in English, meaning "Please reply." It appears on an invitation to request a response to it. Sometimes shown as: R.s.v.p.
Script monogram
A group of letters—usually two or three—that represents a person's name. Most script monograms are comprised of three letters. The best-quality monograms feature interlocked letters.
A group of two or three different stationery items offered together as a special value.
Back to Top 

Paper Glossary

To smooth the finish of paper in the final stage of paper making. The calendering process also can be used to make paper thinner.
See Micrometer.
Coated paper
Printing paper with a surface coating that is smooth and receptive to ink, and primarily used for magazines and brochures.
Cover weight
In older paper mill jargon, cover weight is a way of measuring the thickness—and therefore weight—of thicker card material, as opposed to text weight, which measures thickness and weight of thinner papers.
The fibrous mat that rolls on top of the paper during its manufacture, while the fiber/water mix is floating on the wire. Because the felt surface supplies the texture to the top side of the paper, the top side of paper often is called the felt side. Hence, the underside of a sheet of paper often is called the wire side.
An elongated plant cell that is the microscopic, basic ingredient in paper.
The texture of the surface of paper.
Flat card
A thick piece of paper that is cut as a single panel without a fold.
Any note that folds evenly in half—usually with the fold at the top.
The direction that the fibers take as paper is made.
An instrument, such as a paper cutter, similar in action to a guillotine.
Kraft paper
A tough brown paper used for wrapping or packing. Most paper bags are made from kraft paper.
Laid paper
A pattern showing parallel wire marks that emerge on the paper surface during manufacture. This pattern appears as a fine striated or corduroy effect on the paper surface.
A tool that measures the thickness of paper in 1/1000-inch increments. This tool also is known as a caliper. The measure itself is sometimes called "the caliper." For instance, one might say: The caliper of the paper is 5/1000-inch. The most common thickness of paper is from 5/1000-inch to 10/1000-inch.
A felted sheet, usually made from vegetable fibers, laid down on a fine screen via a flow of water.
A flat, somewhat coarse material made from wood pulp—similar to paper but thicker—and usually used to make light-duty boxes such as shoe boxes or gift boxes.
Paper mill
A factory that manufactures paper.
The measurement of acidity in paper chemistry. Most papers now are made with a neutral pH measurement so they are balanced between acid and alkaline. This is more desirable for water treatment in the paper mill and its immediate environment.
The mixture of fibers and water from which paper is made.
The name of a standard laboratory test that measures the smoothness of paper finish.
Uncoated paper
Regular paper used for stationery, books, and newspapers.
A ream is 500 sheets of paper.
Side seam
The left or right side flap of an envelope where gum is applied to bind the side flap to the back flap of the envelope.
In modern usage, the term represents a strong, cream-colored paper. Originally, in ancient times, vellum was the treated skin of a calf, used as a writing material.
A marking in paper resulting from differences in thickness.
Wove paper
Paper made with a revolving roller covered with a pattern that produces no lines running across the grain of the paper. The finish thus produced looks like fine woven cloth. (Compare with laid paper.)
A term commonly substituted for the word paper.
The wire mesh used at the "wet" end of the paper-making machine. The wire determines the finished texture of the paper, and also provides the watermark design in fine watermarked papers.
Back to Top 

Typesetting Glossary

A set of letters or other characters that are used to write words in languages.
The character (seen as &) that represents the word and.
The part of a letter that extends above the body of the letter (the x height); i.e., a part of the letter that climbs up from the body of the letter.
The line on which the bases of capital letters (uppercase letters) sit.
When any image or element on a page touches the edge of the page—extending beyond the trim edge, leaving no margin—it is said to bleed. It may bleed or extend off one or more sides. Photos, rules, clip art, and decorative text elements can bleed off the page.
Bold type
Type with a heavier, darker appearance.
A part that forms the outer edge of something, such as a decorative strip around the edge of an invitation or a note card.
Broken letter
A letter that has part of it missing.
A heavy dot ( • ) used to highlight a particular passage or list of elements.
Capital letter
The larger of two choices of letter when creating a word. Capital letters are the first letter in a proper noun or first word of a sentence. (Also see uppercase letter.)
An abbreviation for capital letters.
The text that accompanies a photo in a catalog or newsletter.
Composing type
The act of accomplishing the artistic goal when typesetting a page.
Arranging letters, objects, or other elements into an artistic form.
A style of typeface in which the characters appear taller and narrower.
To cut out or trim unneeded portions of an image or a page. Cutting lines—known as crop —may be indicated on a printout of the image or page to show where to crop. An image is trimmed on one, two, three, or four sides to create more emphasis on one part of the image. The aim of cropping is to eliminate dead space around the four sides of a photographic image. Also known as: trim.
The part of a letter that hangs down "below the line."
Display type
Larger type used for headings and titles, normally 18 point or higher. The names on personalized stationery are created with display type.
A style of typeface whereby letters are stretched to the left and right, so that it is lower and longer in appearance.
An abbreviation for the word typeface.
An ornamental stroke in writing or printing.
The term for type that is not to be indented, but is to be set flush with the margin. A flush cover of a book, magazine, catalog, manual, or other publication is cut to the same size as the pages within. In a flush paragraph, all the sentences—except perhaps the last one—are of equal width across the page, and there is no beginning paragraph indentation. Flush left or flush right indicates that type is to be set so as to line up at the left or right margin. To flush the margin in this manner also is referred to as justified.
An assortment or set of type, all of one size and style. In recent usage, the word font has come to describe a typeface without regard to size.
A style of type design that relates to European architecture from the 12th century to the 16th century. Gothic type has broad, even strokes, and is without serifs.
The thinnest stroke in a typeface or drawing or page layout.
Hairline rule
The thinnest rule that can be printed (Also see rule).
A typestyle with characters that slant upward and to the right.
To flush the margin (Also see flush).
Kerning constitutes the space between letters, and the horizontal space adjustment between the letters of words or names.
In typesetting usage, the word leading rhymes with sledding. Leading constitutes the space between lines of type.
The smaller size of a letter, also known as a small letter.
Open face
A typestyle that features open "white space" inside the outline of each letter.
A unit of measurement in typesetting, a point is 1/72 of an inch.
Roman letters
Letters that derive from the Latin alphabet, whereby the letters are vertical with serifs.
Originally a metal strip that was inked to print straight lines in the letterpress process. In the present day, in printing, a rule is any printed straight line.
Sans serif
A style of typeface without serifs, such as Helvetica.
A term applied to any face cut to resemble handwriting.
Any of the short lines stemming from and at an angle to the upper and lower ends of the strokes of a letter. An example of lettering with serifs is MrsEavesRoman.
Setting type
The act of placing type in a chase. (A chase is a metal frame in which letterpress type is "locked up" prior to printing.)
This word should be avoided when speaking of type; see leading or kerning.
One of the lines of the letter of an alphabet.
The main body of printed or written matter on a page.
Text type
Typefaces used for the main text of written material, usually no larger than 14-point size.
All type of a single design.
To set in type.
Variations in the thickness and stroke—such as light, bold, italic—that lend flexibility and emphasis in the appearance of characters constituting a typeface.
The larger size of a letter that begins a name or sentence; Also known as capital, as in: The first letter of his name is a capital letter.
Vertical versus Horizontal emphasis (in the typeset page)
Today, because of email and the 8.5 x 11 format usually used in word processing programs, most composition looks too horizontal. Applying a more vertical look with wide margins is more eye-catching.
A small illustration not enclosed in a definite border.
The degree of boldness or thickness of a letter or font.
x height
The height of the main body of a letter, excluding the ascenders and descenders. For example, the letter x has an x-height identical to itself because it has no ascenders or descenders.
Back to Top 

Printing Glossary

The various methods used to secure loose leaves or sections in a book.
Blind emboss
A raised impression made without using ink, foil, or toner.
A metal frame in which letterpress type is "locked up" prior to printing.
A metal or plastic tool that is designed to make another material conform to it.
Die cut
A means of cutting paper by pressing sharp blades against the paper. The principle is similar to cutting dough with a cookie cutter.
Digital printing
A means of printing that sends the digital image to the paper without using a printing plate. Usually the image is created by toner, which is a fine pigmented powder; or magnetic ink, which is ink that is used in certain kinds of digital printing.
The raised impression made by squeezing paper under high pressure, between two metal or plastic dies.
Literally, this word means "cut into." Today, very little true engraving is done because of the expense and difficulty. Most metals and plastics are dissolved by acids or vaporized by laser beams.
The section of a printing press that contains the ink before it spreads onto the rollers.
Foil stamping
A process for stamping a design on a book cover, invitation, or napkin by using a colored foil with pressure from a heated die.
An illustration reproduced by breaking down the original tone into a pattern of dots of varying size.
A group of visual elements that form a visual pattern.
A communication between two surfaces achieved by stamping or pressing.
A colored liquid material for writing and printing.
The process of printing from an inked raised surface where the paper is pressed directly against this surface.
A method of printing developed in France in 1792 in which ink sticks to wax but is repelled by water. The water cleans away the excess ink, enabling the inked image to make an accurate transfer onto paper.
A means of printing where the ink is transferred (offset) from the plate to a rubber blanket, which then prints the image onto the paper.
A flat or cylindrical surface used to transfer an image to paper.
A test version of a typeset invitation or announcement that is used to check spelling, punctuation, and design before the item is printed.
Raised lettering (Also known as thermography)
When the inked image is still wet on the paper, a plastic powder is spread onto the wet ink. Then the image travels under extreme heat—approximately 400 degrees—and the combination of the ink and plastic powder melts together to form a smooth raised image.
A straight crease impressed into paper so that the paper folds correctly along the crease.
A powder used to develop a xerographic image. Toner is used in copiers, computer printers, and some small-format printing presses.
A continuous roll of printing paper used on printing presses that draw the paper from a roll instead of drawing the paper from a stack of separate sheets. Logo